While there is temptation to rub your eyes after a bug enters, it is advisable not to. If the irritation persists, it is best to consult your ophthalmologist, who will conduct a thorough eye examination. The ophthalmologist uses a high-powered microscope called a slit lamp to view your ocular structures in great detail. If any residue or debris is detected, the ophthalmologist will remove it. Besides, your tissue may have suffered trauma which must be treated, and if not can lead to permanent loss of vision